The last time Joe was in this home was last Thanksgiving Day 2006. It was not easy that day and we knew it would be his last time home, and it was. As much as I miss him, and I miss him terribly, I don't want him back like he was, and know he would not want to be back like that either. I would only want him back like he used to be. That is the Joe I miss.
So even though this Thanksgiving is not as I would like it to be, I still love Thanksgiving, and am grateful for what I do have. I have a daughter in Tempe who is cooking a fantastic dinner and I am invited. I have a grandson I will be happy to see. I have family. I have gratitude for these things. I know I am blessed.
A strange thing happened today. I was at my nail salon, getting a pedicure and overheard two other women talking who were also getting pedicures. They said to each other how they HATED this holiday, that it was the worst holiday ever, and they wished there was no such day as Thanksgiving. All they have to do is cook and clean and they hate doing that and hate the holiday.
I was totally stunned. I was also very, very thankful I am not like them, nor do I think like them. Thank you Universe for this! I love the holiday so much and love having a day to remind us to be thankful, and more than anything LOVE all my past memories. I cry when I think of past Thanksgivings, when my parents came to visit every year, and all my children around the table, and I always got up at 6:00 am and stuffed the turkey and got it in the oven so when my family woke up a few hours later, the house would smell wonderful! I will never forget those days, and I am happy and grateful for the holidays I have now and very grateful for my family and all my blessings. I have always loved the cooking and every detail of Thanksgiving.
I sat in my chair at the salon and thought all these things and started crying. Yes, I am emotional and I don't care. It is who I am. At least I can feel and I can love, and I can cherish Thanksgiving. And tonight I baked pumpkin and cranberry bread, and my little condo smelled wonderful! It truly smelled like Thanksgiving!
