I think for 20 years or more, I have wanted to do a retreat at Unity Village, near Kansas City. I have read about the retreats and wished I could go for so long, it seems forever. I always knew one day it would happen. And it looks like that day is finally here. I received an email today from A Complaint Free World.org and clicked the link for a retreat, and guess where it was? You are so right....Unity Village, Kansas City! I called my sister Nancy, and she would love to go to this retreat with me next April, so we are going to get our reservations done this coming week. She lives about 2 hours from Unity Village, so she can meet me at the airport and we can go to Unity and spend 3 days and then I can go to her home for a few days also. I am very excited about this! I love this message and idea and feel it will be a really great experience. This movement was begun by Rev. Will Bowen who is minister at a Unity Church in Kansas City.
This is an excerpt from the website that is interesting:
Why Do People Complain?
Michael Cunningham, Ph.D., a psychologist at the University of Louisville, proposes that the human predilection for complaining probably evolved from our ancestors' way of crying out a warning when something threatened the tribe. "We mammals are a squealing species,” Dr. Cunningham says, “We talk about things that bother us as a way of getting help or seeking a posse to mount a counterattack."
When an attack is imminent, it makes sense to sound a warning. However, most people are not threatened and yet they complain 20-30 times a day as a matter of course. In so doing, they are sending out negative energy and drawing back to themselves negative experiences.
People complain because they have an unmet need. They may want to have a social connection so they begin a conversation with a stranger by complaining about the weather, a politician or local sports team. It sounds innocent enough but this is actually reinforcing the concept that "something is wrong in my world" and our thoughts then bring more challenges to us as a result.
Beyond the need to connect, many people have a need to be admired so they will complain about other's behavior as a way of saying, "I'm better than that person." Or, they may complain about the food at a restaurant as a way of trying to display their high standards.
Take living a Complaint Free Life to the next level. Spend 3 inspiring and transformative days with Will Bowen, founder of A Complaint Free World, at a beautiful retreat center in Unity Village, MO.
